Estd : 1898Our Lady of the SnowsP.O. North PointDarjeeling - 734 104West Bengal
Present Parish Priest: Fr Jagdish Parmar, SJ
Mob: 86709 74097
The establishment of Sacred Heart Church, Singamari, is apparently connected with the establishment of St. Joseph’s School. When the school started to function, a number of workers engaged in the school who had settled down in the surrounding area, embraced Christianity. As the number of the faithful continued to grow, a small church was built in 1920. But the Parish was officially established only in 1952. Until then all the records were maintained in the Cathedral Parish.
With the establishment of the parish, Fr Jack Coffey was appointed its first parish priest. In 1972 Fr Vincent Curmi worked hard to raise funds and built the present church. In October 1994 a Grotto of Our Lady of the Snows was built besides the church. The Curmi Hall was blessed in 1997.
In the last one hundred and twenty-six years, the Catholic population has grown to one thousand four hundred and twenty-four (four hundred and twenty–five families) in 17 blocks in Singamari. The parish has two sub-stations in Lebong and Soom Tea Estate.
In 1995, Lepcha Busty and Singla, were separated from the Parish and Fr Joseph Pappadil was appointed to look after these stations. Both the stations have 112 and 193 Catholics respectively.
The parish has around 2 acres of land registered in the name of Rector, St Joseph’s College, North Point. In the future, the parish plans to establish a Parish Finance Committee to look after the financial needs of the Parish for its development and other activities.